Apple Cinnamon Protein Bar

There's a great company out of Chicago that makes 100% Paleo, 100% Whole30-approved high protein energy bars. They only use fruit, nuts, clean egg white protein powder, and spices. They're awesome!
Unfortunately {like the rest of the paleo world} clean, whole food equals expensive food. 10 RxBars will run you about $30. I'm sorry, but $3 a bar for a post-WOD snack is a bit much for me. However, clean, whole food also equals ingredients that I have on hand and can easily replicate.

So I got to work. RxBars are basically a Larabar with protein powder, and since I've made a homemade version of brownie batter Larabars, I figured an RxBar wouldn't be too hard to master.

And luckily I was right. The original has 7 ingredients: dates, egg white protein powder, almonds, figs, apple powder, cinnamon, and apple oil. Mine only has 5- I left out the figs and apple oil {because I have no clue what apple oil is...} and for apple powder, I processed freeze-dried apples into a powder {no idea if that's actually what apple powder is, but it worked :)} I was even able to match the nutritional context almost exactly.

Apple Cinnamon Protein Bar

What You'll Need:
{for 1 bar}
  • 10 Almonds
  • 3T Egg White Protein Powder {I used this}
  • 5g Freeze Dried Apples {I used Target's Simply Balanced}
  • A few sprinkles of Cinnamon
  • 4 Dates, pitted {not medjool}
{for 5 bars}
  • 60g Almonds
  • 1 cup Egg White Protein Powder
  • 1-28g pkg Freeze Dried Apples
  • 1/4 -1/2 tsp Cinnamon
  • 20 Dates, pitted {not medjool}

What To Do:
  1. In a small food processor {I used my mini Ninja when making only one, but the 5 bar batch required a regular sized one}, blitz the almonds, protein powder, apples, and cinnamon until finely ground.
  2. Add dates and process until uniformly broken down.
  3. Add very little water {seriously, a few drops} and process. Continue to do this until the mixture starts to stick together. I added probably less that 1 tsp over the course of 3 iterations for 1 bar and about 1.5 Tbsp for the 5 bar batch. 
  4. Form into a bar or roll into bite-sized balls. I pressed into a small ramekin I had to make disks. Refrigerate in an air-tight container.

7 comments:

  1. What a great blog you have here :) and Im happy to follow.

    Check out my blog today...my decor crush on a Fab. Swedish appartment :)

    Have a great day dear

    LOVE Maria at inredningsvis - inredning it's, Swedish for decor :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How long do you think these will keep for? Excited to try these out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd keep them in the fridge and they should be good for about 5 days

      Delete
  3. Are they the same texture at the RX bars?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you happen to calculate how much you're saving? These look great, but I wonder if it's worth the hassle since you can get RXbars for $2 at many store now (like Publix and Trader Joe's). By my calculations, the cost breakdown would make these around $1.90 to make (egg protein: $0.70, almonds: $0.20, dates: $0.40, apple: $0.57, cinnamon: $0.03). Am I right? Plus, then you're limited to just one flavor. Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this! I've been searching for a homemade Rx bar substitute, and this recipe is perfect! Can't wait to try it out!

    ReplyDelete