Brownie Batter Larabars

I posted here about my love of Larabars.  They're a great grab-and-go breakfast. I always keep one at my desk, in case I can't get away for lunch one day. And I'm always throwing one in the purse for long roadtrips.
And while I love a company that prides themselves on using only whole, quality ingredients, I have a hard time forking over $20/box. However, the best part about loving something made with whole, quality ingredients? Easily reproducible, and for much cheaper.
And even better? There are infinite flavor possibilities. All you need for the base are dates and nuts {I've found cashews and walnuts work best}. Then you can throw in whatever you'd like.  Dried fruit {cherries, bananas, apples, blueberries}, other nuts {toasted pecans, almonds, or hazelnuts}, spices {cinnamon, cocoa powder}, and anything else you can think of {paleo-friendly chocolate chips anyone?}
I've played around with a lot of varieties and two favorites have been Banana Bread {dates, cashews, walnuts, and dried banana} and Apple Pie {dates, cashews, pecans, dried apples, and cinnamon}.
But sometimes a girl just needs a brownie

Brownie Batter Larabar

Ingredients

  • 1 cup Raw Cashews or Walnuts (I used a mix of both)
  • 1/2 tsp Salt
  • 1 1/2 cups Pitted Dates
  • 3 Tbsp Cocoa Powder
  • 1/2 tsp Vanilla
  • Water

Directions

  1. Pulse cashews and/or walnuts and salt in food processor until finely ground. Add dates, cocoa powder, and vanilla and process until mixture is crumbly.
  2. Add water, 1/2 Tbsp at a time, and process until mixture comes together into a ball (I added 1 1/2 Tbsp).
  3. Roll mixture into bite-sized balls or press into a square and cut into bars. Wrap in plastic wrap and store in fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment