Toasted Walnut Banana Muffins


For the first couple months that I started eating paleo, I stayed away from 'paleofied' baked goods.  For no particular reason other than there is no such thing as almond or coconut flour in my small town {which really isn't that small. They just refuse to get normal business and services, but that's a whole different rant....}

But then I realized that Amazon sells all sorts of 'gourmet' food items.  Every coconut product you can image {oil, flour, flakes, etc....}. Bulk almonds which can be processed into flour. And best of all, even though completely unrelated- Larabars by the box {These are my go-to if I know I'm going to be somewhere without paleo-friendly food options}.
So I started researching and experimenting and I realized that I LOVE baking with coconut flour.  This stuff is magic.  It's like super strong. Soaks up liquid like no ones business. And you'd never know you weren't eating a regular, flour- and gluten-ladened treat.

Breakfast has been the trickiest meal for me because I'm a 'roll out of bed and go' type of person.  No time to fry up some bacon and eggs. I just want to grab-and-go.  {I know- most would say 'why don't you just wake up earlier?' Because that would require waking up earlier and my bed and I have a very special relationship}.  So muffins to the rescue.  I usually grab a couple of these along with a couple hard-boiled eggs and I have a breakfast that can rush out the door with me.

Toasted Walnut Banana Muffins
adapted from Balanced Bites

Ingredients
  • 6 eggs
  • 1/4 cup + 2T Coconut Oil, melted (could sub in butter if you eat dairy)
  • 1 tsp Vanilla
  • 3 bananas, mashed
  • 1/2 cup Coconut Flour
  • 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
  • 1 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp Salt
  • 1/4 cup Walnuts, chopped and toasted
**UPDATE: Don't substitute other flours. Coconut flour a super flour and is able to absorb a lot more liquid than almond flour. Your batter will turn out incredibly runny if you try to use almond instead of coconut flour. My uncle found this out the hard way :( **

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350F
  2. Whisk together eggs, coconut oil, vanilla, and bananas. Sift in coconut flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.  Stir until well conbined
  3. Fold in walnuts
  4. Scoop 1/4 cup of batter into a muffin tin (either paper lined or sprayed with olive oil spray)
  5. Bake for 35-40 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment