Lemon Berry Cupcakes

I have a weird thing about fruit in my dessert.  I'm really not a fan. I don't get it. It's just a thing I have.  
If I'm going to eat dessert, I want chocolate. I want ice cream. I want cookies. I don't want fruit.  That goes for pies, tarts, a fruit plate disguised as dessert. Unless that fruit is covered in chocolate. Then I can get on board.  Other than that, it's just a thing. I'm weird. We can all acknowledge this and move on to....
Fruity cupcakes! Apparently my tastebuds will allow fruit to be transformed into cake and frosting.  Though, considering it's cake and frosting, I'm not really surprised. Note to self. 
I love this sweet lemony poundcake topped with rapsberry buttercream because it's so bright and fresh.  Perfect for a summery, weekend potluck.

Adapted from this recipe

What You'll Need:
For the Cupcakes
  • 3 cups Flour
  • 1 tsp Salt
  • 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
  • 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
  • 2 sticks (1 cup) Butter, softened
  • 1-6oz container of Plain Fat Free Greek Yogurt
  • The Zest and Juice of 4 Whole Lemons
  • 5 eggs

For the Raspberry Sauce
  • 1 cup Raspberries (I used frozen)
  • 2 Tbsp Sugar
  • 2 tsp Lime Juice

For the Raspberry Buttercream
  • 21/2 sticks Butter
  • 1 tsp Salt
  • 2 1/2 cups Powdered Sugar
  • Raspberry Sauce

What To Do:
  1. Preheat oven to 350F. Prepare a cupcake tin with liners.
  2. Sift together flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.  In a separate bowl, cream together butter and sugar.  In yet a separate bowl, mix together yogurt, lemon zest, and lemon juice.
  3. Add eggs to the butter and sugar mixture, one at a time, incorporating fully after each add.
  4. Alternate adding the flour mixture and the yogurt mixture to the butter/sugar.  Flour should take 3 adds, yogurt should take 2 adds. 
  5. Fill cupcake tins almost completely full. This is a pound cake, so it doesn't rise a ton
  6. Bake for 15 minutes, or until it passes the toothpick test. Cool completely before icing.
  7. To make the raspberry sauce, combine ingredients in a sauce pan and place over medium heat. Using a wooden spoon, crush the berries in the pan. Stir frequently until juices from berries boil. Let boil for 2 minutes to thicken the sauce. Strain the mixture if you prefer, I chose not to. Cool in refrigerator.
  8. To make the raspberry buttercream, beat butter, salt, and powdered sugar until smooth. Add raspberry sauce and beat until smooth. Pipe onto cooled cupcakes. Top with a raspberry.

Please check out my Link Parties page to see where this post is linked to :)

No comments:

Post a Comment