Skittles Vodka

In an attempt to start crossing things off my summer bucket list, I thought there was no better place to begin than mastering my own cocktail.  I love playing bartender but I feel like I always make the same (boring) things: vodka tonic, run & coke, and if I'm feeling really snazzy, Malibu & 7-Up. (Watch out now- things are getting crazy)
It doesn't help that I'm really picky. I like sweet, but not pure sugar.  I like fruity, but I don't want it bordering on Hawaiian punch.  I like it to be strong, but I don't want it to knock me on my butt after one sip.
I've been seeing Skittles-infused vodka floating around the interwebs for quite some time and I thought that the flavors might make for a great original cocktail base.  The ideas are already brewing (pouring? flowing? enter appropriate cocktail pun here): Lime Vodka Mojito. Lemonade Martini. Boozy Orange Slushies.  The possibilities are endless.

Added bonus: I finally found a use for the box of mason jars I bought months ago.  I shouldn't be allowed in Target....

Inspired by this recipe

What You'll Need:
  • 5 mason jars (or other liquid holding device)
  • 40 oz of Vodka (I used Smirnoff)
  • 1/3 cup of each color of Skittle (I bought 2-14oz bags and had extra, but I don't think 1 would've been enough)

What To Do:
  1. Separate your Skittles into the five flavors. Transfer each flavor into it's own mason jar and top off with 8 oz of vodka.
  2. Make sure your lids on are on tight and then shake.  Give each flavor a good shake and then let sit several hours or overnight, until all the candies have dissolved.  It doesn't hurt to shake every few hours to aid the process.
  3. At this point, the original recipe filtered and filtered and filtered.  I started to, but it ended up being too tedious, so I skipped it.  If you choose to too, just shake up your vodka before pouring/serving to distribution the floating sugar. 
  4. Ta-da! You have Skittles Vodka.  Chill in the freezer and enjoy all the fruity possibilities.


Please check out my Link Parties page to see where this post is linked to :)

No comments:

Post a Comment