Gingerbread Cupcake with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting

My little, Charlie Brown-esque tree? Up and decorated.
My favorite snowflake snow globe? Properly displayed on my TV stand.
The world most fantastic smelling sugar cookie candle? Lit and sitting on my countertop.

Yes, it is officially Christmas season.  (Give or take the fact that it was 70 degrees outside last week.)
And with Christmas comes my intense need to bake.

Everything.
Sugar cookies. Peppermint bark. Truffles. I have plans of filling my kitchen with everything delicious and festive.
And to start- Gingerbread Cupcakes.To be honest, I haven't sampled my fair share of gingerbread.  Growing up, my dad loved gingersnap cookies, but I always found them too hard and crunchy. So I just assumed all similar ginger baked goods were the same.  Why oh why was I so silly?
This cake is awesome- soft and moist, but has the spices that just sing Christmas.

Adapted from this recipe

What You'll Need:
For the cupcakes
  • 1/4 cup Butter
  • 1/2 cup Sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups Flour
  • 1/2 cup Water
  • 1/3 cup Molasses
  • 1Egg
  • 1 tsp Baking Soda
  • 3/4 tsp Cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp Ginger
  • 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp Clove
For the frosting
  • 1 stick Butter
  • 2- 8oz packages Cream Cheese, room temp
  • 2 lbs Powdered Sugar
  • 2 Tbsp Cinnamon
  • 1 Tbsp Vanilla
  • Optional- sprinkles :)
What To Do:
  1. Preheat oven to 325F. Cream together butter and sugar.  Add flour, water, and molasses and mix until combined.  Add in egg, baking soda, and spice until fully incorporated.
  2. Pour into lined cupcake tins and bake for 18-20 minutes.  While the cakes bake, prepare the frosting.
  3. Beat together butter and cream cheese. Add in vanilla and cinnamon.  Then SLOWLY add in the powdered sugar.  Yes, you will have sugar everywhere. It happens.
  4. Wait to frost your cupcakes until COMPLETELY cool. I used one of my new, super huge Wilton tips to pipe the frosting (I'm in LOVE with it).  If you don't frost your cupcakes as heavy as I do, you might want to cut the recipe in half- even I had a ton left over

No comments:

Post a Comment