French Onion Soup

It’s winter (more or less).  It’s cold. I have to wake up extra early to scrape the frost off of my windshield.  The sun’s rising as I get into work and setting as I leave. I have to wear socks. In a word- not a fan. (Ok, so three words….)
However, this “lovely” weather does give me the perfect excuse to spend my afternoon sautéing onions in butter, letting the smell waft through my entire apartment.  It’s heavenly, trust me.   And then I get to add thyme and parsley and bay leaves. 
Added plus, it's served in a ramekin.  Have I mentioned how much I love all things that come in ramekins. Case and point? Last week's white chocolate coconut crème brulee. :)  Topped with crunchy seasoned croutons and then smothered in not one, but TWO types of cheese.  Broiled to golden brown and bubbly goodness. 
This soup almost makes winters worth it.  Almost……..
Adapted from this recipe
What You’ll Need:
  • 4 Tbsp Butter
  • 1 tsp Salt
  • 2 large Sweet Onions, thinly sliced
  • 2 large Red Onions, thinly sliced
  • 48oz Chicken Broth
  • 14oz Beef Broth
  • ¼ cup Red Wine Vinegar
  • 1 Tbsp Worcestershire
  • 1 Tbsp Dried Parsley
  • 1 tsp Ground Thyme
  • 2 Bay Leaves
  • S&P
  • Seasoned Croutons
  • 8 slices Swiss Cheese
  • ¼ cup Shredded Mozzarella
  • Paprika
What To Do:
  1. Melt butter in large pot over medium heat.  Stir in salt and onions (both sweet and red). Cook for about 30 minutes, stirring regularly, until the onions are caramelized and almost syrupy.
  2. Add chicken and beef broths, red wine vinegar, Worcestershire, parsley, thyme, and bay leaves and stir.  Simmer over medium heat for about 20 minutes, stir occasionally. Remove and discard of bay leaves.  Turn off heat and season with salt and pepper.
  3. Preheat broiler and arrange your ramekins on a rimmed baking sheet. Transfer soup into ramekins. (Not all the soup fit into the 4 ramekins I had, which worked out great for leftovers.  In hind sight, I should’ve only filled 2 because the already-broiled ones didn’t keep too well). Top with a generous helping of croutons.  Then top each with 2 slices of Swiss and about a Tbsp of shredded Mozzarella.  Finish with a pinch of paprika on each.
  4. Broil about 5 minutes or until cheese is brown and bubbly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment