Chocolate Peppermint Bark


I'm OBSESSED with all things mint chocolate.  No. Seriously.  It honestly might be my favorite part of the Christmas season- all the minty chocolately things come out to play.

In the past week, I've had mint M&Ms, Mrs. Field's Peppermint Sticks, a Starbucks Peppermint Mocha and a chocolate mint crinkle cookie from Panera.  While my breathe may have benefitted, not so sure my waistline has....eh- it's the holidays. Calories don't count, right?
But anyways.....yeah, I'm a fan of mint chocolate.  However, I've NEVER EVR made peppermint bark.  I have no clue why not.  Especially because it's SO. FRICKEN. EASY.  5 ingredients, no oven, mint heaven.

I split the recipe in half- the first half got poured into candy molds and the rest into an 8x8 pan.

What's your favorite Christmas treat?
 

Adapted from this recipe

What You'll Need:
  • 1 bag Milk Chocolate Chips
  • 1 bag White Chocolate Chips
  • 4 tsp Shortening, divided
  • 1 tsp Peppermint Extract, divided
  • Candy Canes, crushed into pieces
 What To Do:
  1. Place candy canes into a ziploc bag and crush into small pieces using a rolling pin.  If you have a mesh strainer available, sift the candies to remove any peppermint "dust".  DO NOT use a food processor- I did think and got sticky, nasty, peppermint clumps....not cool....
  2. Prepare your molds and/or pans.  If using silicon molds, I don't think you'll need to do anything.  I used plastic candy molds, so I sprayed them with Pam just to be safe.  I lined my 8x8 with parchment paper.
  3. In a microwave safe bowl, combine milk chocolate, 2 tsp of shortening, and 1/2 tsp peppermint extract.  Microwave in 30 second increments, stirring as you go, until melted and smooth.  Pour into molds/pan.  Jiggle them a little to spread everything else.  Add a few small peppermint pieces on top of the milk chocolate.  Cool in fridge for at least an hour.
  4. Once hardened, repeat with white chocolate. I kept my final ones in the molds overnight before I set them free, but a couple hours should be more than enough.


No comments:

Post a Comment