Chicken Breast with Mushroom-Red Wine Sauce

I can’t help it. Try as I might, I will always be a Midwestern girl.  I’ll forever call it “pop” no matter how many people correct me and tell me it’s “soda”.  Chicago will always be my favorite city in the whole wide world.  And for me, meat and potatoes is what hits the spot on cold dark winter nights. 
Well, that and watching Love Actually all December long. It’s in my top 5 Christmas movies. (And I don’t care what you say- yes, it’s a Christmas movie).
So when I came upon this dish in my binder o’ recipes and realized a) it sounded fantastic and b) I’d never made it before, I had to give it a whirl.
Earthy, meaty mushroom. Red wine. Thyme. Oh so fantastic.  And incredibly easy.  The entire dinner took me like 15 minutes start to finish. (Yes, I did cheat and used boxed mashed potatoes. If you’re not keen on them, obviously it’ll take you a bit more than 15 minutes to make traditional potatoes. I don’t have the patience for that)

Adapted from recipe found in Weight Watchers in 20 Minutes
What You’ll Need:
  • 1 lb of Chicken Breasts (I used the thinly sliced ones)
  • Salt and Pepper
  • 4 tsp Olive Oil
  • 8 oz Mushroom, slices
  • 1/3 cup Red Wine (I used a Shiraz)
  • 1/3 cup Chicken Broth
  • 2 tsp Flour
  • 1 tsp Dried Thyme
  • 2 tsp Minced Garlic
What To Do:
  1. Heat 2 tsp olive oil in a large skillet over med-high heat.  Season chicken breast with salt and pepper and cook until almost done. Remove from skillet.
  2. Add remaining 2 tsp oil to skillet and sauté mushrooms until brown.  Meanwhile, whisk together red wine, chicken broth and flour in a small bowl.  When mushrooms are done, add the wine mixture along with the thyme and garlic. Cook until bubbling and slightly thickened, about 1-2 minutes.
  3. Add chicken back into skillet and cook until breasts are done.  I paired my chicken with garlic mashed potatoes and green beans.


No comments:

Post a Comment