Bruschetta Chicken

I know, I know- another Italian-inspired chicken meal- how original....


But I swear I've branched out this summer.  Over the past few months, I've experiemented with Indian and Thai dishes, whipped up some plates featuring shrimp (what?!) and mahi mahi (gasp!) and salmon (holy cow!), and figured out the perfect guacamole recipe (something I hated until a couple months ago).  And I've loved it all. 


But I stumbled upon this little gem of a dinner and couldn't let it go.  Hopefully some of you have a garden overflowing with tomatoes that you can use for this incredibly simple and fresh dish.  I had to go to my local grocery store to pick some up because I can kill a plant just by looking at it....But I did get the ones "on the vine"- so it's kinda like I grew them, right?

Inspired by Skinny Taste


What You'll Need:
8 oz Whole Wheat Spaghetti
1/4 cup chopped Red Onion
2 Tbsp EVOO, divided
1 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
S&P to taste
3 Tomatoes
2 cloved Garlic, minces
2 Tbsp Fresh Basil, chopped (splurge and use fresh this time- makes ALL the difference)
3 oz Mozzarella, cubed
1 1/4 lb Chicken Breast, cubed into 1 inch chunks
4 Tbsp Pesto (optional)


What To Do:
1. Get a pot of water boiling and cook up your pasta.  While that goes, in a large bowl, combine onion, 1 Tbsp EVOO, balsamic, and S&P and let it "chill out" for a while.  While that sets, chop up the tomatoes and add to the onion-oil-balsamic mix along with adding the garlic and basil. Set aside in the fridge. 


2.  While the veggies marinate, heat the remaining 1 Tbsp EVOO in a medium pan.  Season chicken with S&P and cook up until done.  Toss mozzarella into bruschetta mixture once ready to serve.


3.  On a plate, lay down a bed of spaghetti. Top with chicken and bruschetta.  If you want everything a little bit "saucier", stir in a Tbsp or so of pesto.

No comments:

Post a Comment