Chocolate Sorbet

Things I know:
1. It's hot outside
2. I love chocolate
3. I have an ice cream maker that I never use


(I also have some knowledge of partial differential equations, but that's where the nerd part comes in. We'll leave that out of the food blog :-P)


Knowing these things, I can only come to one conclusion- something cold and chocolatey must be concocted used said ice cream maker. And stat.  (Yes, I said stat- apparently I became Doogie Howser over the summer- moving on)


I don't claim to be an expert.  No, I don't know the difference between ice cream vs. custard vs. frozen yogurt vs. sorbet vs. sherbet. But I know this sorbet, whatever makes it qualify as a sorbet, is crazy simple and crazy good.  (Its has espresso in it- it has to rock!)


Recipe from Skinny Taste


What You'll Need:
2 1/4 cups Water, divided
1/2 cup Sugar
pinch of Salt
1/2 cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
1/4 tsp Vanilla Extract
1/4 cup Freshly Brewed Espresso


What To Do:
1.  In a sauce pan, combine 1 1/4 cup water, sugar, salt and cocoa powder and warm over medium heat.  Bring to a full boil while whisking, then reduce heat to low, and simmer for thirty seconds.


2.  Remove from the heat, and stir in the vanilla and espresso.  Add the remaining 1 cup of water.


3.  Transfer the mixture to a bowl, and chill in the refrigerator until cold, about an hour.  Once chilled, freeze in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions. (Mine went for about 20 minutes).  I added a handful of mini chocolate chips that I had around at the end and let it go in the ice cream maker for another 5 minutes.  Transfer to a freezer safe container and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment