Day 2 Recap & Recipe for Homemade 'Deli' Chicken Breast

Supposedly there comes a point during this challenge where you wake up and jump out of bed with endless energy.

Today was not that day....

Even though I got my full 7+ hours of sleep that the challenge encourages, I still was dragging when my alarm went off at 6am. But I managed to make myself look pseduo-presentable, pack up my breakfast {eggs with turkey sausage and sweet potatoes} and snacks {trail mix of almonds, cashews and dates & Well Fed's "antipasto" snack of red pepper strips, black olives, a few slices of cold roasted chicken {recipe below}, and a pickle}, and make it out the door in time.

I had my morning cup o' joe {black} when I got into work. I'm thinking about making this recipe for a paleo creamer and keeping it in the office fridge. I don't completely hate drinking my coffee black, but smoothing it out with a little creamer does sound lovely. I didn't get hungry for breakfast until around 9:30 {this is normal for me- I've never been able to eat first thing in the morning}, so I made my way to the kitchen to nuke my eggs.
Not the prettiest girl at the prom, but still delicious.

The rest of the morning was pretty uneventful {life as a desk monkey usually isn't very exciting} and I went home for lunch around noon. Lunch was this week's "specialty" of italian chicken sausage {Target's Simple Balanced brand if you're curious where I found a Whole30 approved sausage} and roasted brussels sprouts.

This is literally one of my favorite paleo meals and I'm sure it will make its appearance a couple more times before the challenge is over. I followed it with a bit of my trail mix that had gone untouched throughout the morning {mostly because I ate breakfast so late} and headed back to the office.

Snacked on my "antipasto" around 3pm. Personally, I like to eat about 2 hours before I work out. I don't really see it as a "pre-workout" meal in the traditional sense of needing to fuel myself before hitting the gym with the correct ratio of protein/fat/carbs but rather I find my workout goes just a little better when I'm not on a completely empty stomach.

After a WOD full of hang snatches, lateral jumps, and burpees I went home, downed a banana {mmmmm....after workout carbs} and a couple more pieces of cold chicken breast, and got to work on dinner. I made PaleOMG's Spaghetti Squash Pizza Pie. It took a bit longer than I would've liked {mostly because you have to bake it twice- once roasted the squash and a second baking the entire casserole} but it came out awesome. If I make this again, I'll probably pre-roast the squash on my prep day so it's ready to go and doesn't take so long to make the night of. I also made my own italian sausage by mixing in this seasoning blend with ground turkey {my grocery store didn't have any ground pork this week (sad)} and added in mushrooms and some red bell pepper for more veggies.

In order to dissuade myself from snacking on a ton of fruit after dinner, I immediately brushed my teeth. It's actually kinda working. More because I'm so lazy and if I ate something, I'd have to brush again and who wants to do that? I shall now spend the rest of my night sipping on water {and staying out of my pantry} and watching Juan Pablo on the Bachelor.

Now, my apologies for anyone that came here just looking for a simple chicken recipe and had to read all about my day. Here ya go :)


Homemade Deli Chicken Breast

What You Need:


  • 1 lbs Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • Dried Oregano
  • A couple cloves Garlic, minced
  • A couple tsp Lemon Juice


What To Do:


  1. Preheat over to 350F
  2. Season both side of the chicken breast with salt, pepper, and oregano. Lightly rub on minced garlic.
  3. Place in glass baking dish and lightly drizzle with lemon juice. You don't need a ton, just a bit to give it some brightness
  4. Cover dish with foil and bake for 30-35 minutes, until juices run clear.
  5. Allow to cool in the fridge for about 30-45 minutes then slice thin {It's important to really cool it before slicing. This will help get really thin slices. You could also toss it into the freezer for not as long to firm it up}
  6. Store in fridge and snack at your leisure. Also really good on salad and in lettuce wraps!

No comments:

Post a Comment