Garlic Knots

I don't care what my lineage says, I'm convinced that I'm Italian.
I talk with my hands.
I could eat pasta every day of my life.
I love me some espresso.
And I'm pretty sure I have garlic and parmesan running through my veins.
Hence my absolute delight when I discovered garlic knots.  I know they're nothing new and I'm sure many of you have already partied with garlic knots before. But until now, I have not.  I'm so ashamed of my self-proclaimed Italian-ness.





Adapted from this recipe


What You'll Need:
  • 1 Tbsp Sugar
  • 1 cup Warm Water
  • 2 1/4 tsp (1 pkg) Dry Active Yeast
  • 3 tsp Salt, divided
  • 3 Tbsp Olive Oil, divided
  • 2 1/2 cups Bread Flour
  • 1 stick Butter
  • 3 Tbsp Minced Garlic
  • 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese, grated
  • 2 Tbsp Fresh Parsley, chopped


What To Do:
  1. This is the same dough recipe found here- It's perfect for nearly everything: pizza, breadsticks, and now garlic knots.  In your stand mixer bowl (I HIGHLY recommend using your stand mixer for all dough making adventures- SOOOO much easier), stir together the warm water, sugar and yeast.  Allow to sit for 5-10 minutes, or until frothy.  This means your yeast is alive and kickin’.
  2. Add the 2 tsp salt, 2 Tbsp oil, and 1 ½ cups of the bread flour.  Mix together using your dough hook.  Once incorporated, slowly add the rest of the flour, a little at a time.  You may need more or less than the remaining 1 cup.  You want the dough to be tacky enough that it feels sticky, but you don’t want it to actually stick to your fingers when you touch it.  If it gets too dry from adding a bit too much flour, add just a little bit of water (like a tsp) and try again.
  3. Once its reach it’s perfectly tacky stage, turn your mixer on high and knead for 5 minutes.  Seriously- set a timer and let it do its thing.  Transfer the dough to a lightly oil bowl and cover with plastic wrap.  Allow to rise for 1-2 hours.  (Hint- I always proof my dough by sitting it in the microwave with a glass of hot water. Seems to always to the trick)
  4. Once risen, preheat oven to 375F.  Remove dough from the bowl and place on a lightly floured surface. Using a floured rolling pin, roll dough out into a large rectangle. Brush the dough lightly with remaining 1 Tbsp of olive oil. Cut the dough in half lengthwise and then cut crosswise into strips about 1 1/4 inches wide. Tie each strip loosely into a knot, stretching gently if necessary, and place on sprayed baking sheets about 2-inches apart. Sprinkle the tops of the knots with remaining 1 tsp salt. Cover with plastic wrap or a clean kitchen towel and let rise in a warm, draft-free place for about 30 minutes.
  5. Bake knots in preheated oven until risen and golden brown, about 20 minutes.  While the knots are baking, melt butter with garlic in a saucepan over low heat.  Cook until garlic is fragrant and then remove from heat, but ensure that it stays warm.
  6. Transfer baked knots to a large bowl and toss with garlic butter, parmesan, and parsley.  Serve immediately with marinara sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment