Fake Out Mexican Pot Pies

Dear pot pies of the world-


I'm sorry I never gave you a fighting chance.  I'm sorry I never had fond memories of you as a child.  For all I knew, you used to live in the freezer.  I would pop you in the microwave and you would come out bland and soggy and hot as lava.  Good bye taste buds. 
I'm sorry I resisted you for so long.  I never knew how delicious you could be.  That you could have depth and flavor but still be crazy easy to make. 
And if you see him, could you please tell your friend frozen puff pastry that I think I love him? He kinda rocks.
Love,
Sarah


Note for the pot pie aficionado out there, be kind to this dish.  It's not a true pot pie like you know and love.  It's more of a super thick, creamy soup topped with an awesome puff pastry topper.  Just go with it- it's delicious, no matter what you call it.

Adapted from this recipe


What You'll Need:
  • 2 Chicken Breasts, cubed
  • 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
  • Salt & Pepper
  • 4 Tbsp Butter
  • 1 Onion, chopped
  • 1 cup Carrots, shredded
  • 1 Jalapeno, diced
  • 3 cloves Garlic, minced
  • 1 cup Corn (I used frozen that I defrosted)
  • 2 cups Chicken Broth
  • Juice of 1 Lime
  • 3 Tbsp Flour
  • 1 cup Heavy Cream
  • 2-3 Tbsp Chipotle Pepper in Adobo Puree
  • 1 sheet Puff Pastry, thawed


What To Do:
  1. Preheat oven to 425F.  Season chicken with salt and pepper.  Heat olive oil in a large skillet over med-high heat and cook chicken until no longer pink.  Remove chicken from skillet.  Melt butter in skillet and sauté onion, carrots, jalapeno, corn, and garlic until tender, about 10 minutes.  Whisk in flour and cook for 2 minutes.   
  2. Add chicken broth, cream, chipotle puree and lime juice.  Stir in chicken and reduce heat to low and simmer while pastry bakes.
  3. Line a baking sheet with parchment or use a nonstick baking sheet. Roll out puff pastry sheet on a floured surface. Cut out rounds the size of the bowls you wish to serve in and arrange them on the baking sheet. Bake to golden, about 10-12 minutes.
  4. Spoon pot pies into ramekins and top with puff pastry. 

No comments:

Post a Comment