Spicy Roasted Chickpeas

I have a confession to make.  I’m a serious snacker.  I’d be embarrassed to show you my cabinets at work.  Granola bars, mixed nuts, apples, boxes of cereal (I’m weird and eat it dry…), a bag of caramel Hershey kisses.  When people around the office get the munchies, they know who to go to. 
 
I have no less than 4 snacks a day.  Mid-morning, mid-afternoon, after-work, and after-dinner (sometime two after-dinners if there’s ice cream in the freezer calling my name).  It’s probably a bit excessive.  I rationalize by telling myself it’s better for my metabolism if I eat small things throughout the day instead of just 3 large meals.  Well, that and I’m like a 3 year old and get cranky if I’m not fed every 3 hours.  Naps help the crankiness too.  Unfortunately the government frowns upon sleeping on the taxpayer’s dollar.  
But back to the snacking obsession.  I’ve noticed a huge recent movement towards roasted veggies as snack foods. OK- maybe the word “movement” is a bit of an overstatement.  It makes it sound like snaking is some big socio-political thing that I won’t even try to understand (Umm….I like it when brownies Occupy my Oven….)  My point?- people left and right are baking themselves kale chips.  And others are going crazy for dried edemame.  And some have roasted chickpeas.
As a self-proclaimed hummus enthusiast, I had to get on the roasted chickpea train.  (All aboard?)

Adapted from this recipe


What You Need:
  • 2- 15oz cans of Chickpeas (Garbonzo Beans)
  • 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
  • 1 tsp Cumin
  • 1 tsp Paprika
  • Pinch of Cayenne
  • S&P


What To Do:
  1. Preheat oven to 400F.  Rinse and drain chickpeas.  Dry them by rolling around in a kitchen towel.
  2. In a medium sized bowl, combine oil, cumin, paprika, cayenne, salt, and pepper.  The add chickpeas and toss to coat.
  3. Spread out in a single layer on a parchment lined baking sheet.  Bake until crispy, about 30 minutes.  Toss halfway through to bake evenly.  Remove from oven and try not to eat them all in one sitting. 

1 comment:

  1. Sarah ~ These are equally scrumptious and addicting. Thank you for posting this. I made these for a party and they were consumed voraciously by all until they were gone. I am now making them again for a cross-country road trip. I appreciate their simplicity but also their amenability to new and exciting spice flavors. Endless experimentation will ensue shortly. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete