Chicken with Roasted Peppers

There's only one word to describe the weather here as of lately: crappy.  I feel like I've been teleported to Seattle minus all the awesomeness of amazing coffee and fantastic music.  Instead I'm stuck with cold and clouds and rain.  And the Amish.  Which I pass everyday on my way to work.  Which is reason #482 why I need to find a new job.  Preferably one that allows me to wake up at 10am and be done by 3pm.  And that lets me work in my PJs with my hair a hot mess.  And pays me to spend my entire day in my kitchen baking and cooking and taking pictures and typing. But I digress......
 
So what do I do when the weather doesn't agree with my desire to have cocktails on my back porch?  I search my cook books and magazines for something all nice and cozy and comforting.  And what fits the bill better than a near-stew of chicken and roasted peppers in an amazing tomato sauce and plenty of bread to mop up the left over goodness?  Props to Rachael Ray magazine for the recipe.

How Long Is This Gonna Take:
About 30-40 minutes


What You'll Need:
4 Bell Peppers (2 red, 1 yellow, 1 green)
1.5-2 lbs Chicken Breast, cubed
S&P
1/4 cup Flour
3 tbsp EVOO
1 tsp Fennel Seed
4 cloves Garlic, minced
1 cup White Wine
1-28oz can Plum Tomatoes
Crusty Bread


What To Do:
1.  Broil the peppers (or cook on the grill) to roast and get a good char on them.  Transfer to a bowl and allow to cool.  Once touchable, use a paper towel to remove the skins.  Seed and slice into thin strips.  Set aside.


2.  While the peppers cook and cool, season the chicken with S&P and coat in the flour.  Heat 2 tbsp EVOO over med-high heat in a large skillet with a lid.  Brown chicken, about 4-6 minutes.  Transfer to bowl.  Add the last tbsp of EVOO to skillet and saute garlic and fennel seed for about 1 minute then add white wine to deglaze.  Add tomatoes and mash them.  Season with more S&P then cook to a rapid boil, reducing for about 5 minutes.
3.  Lower heat to medium and add chicken peppers.  Cover and allow to finish cooking, about 5 minutes.  Serve with plenty of bread on the side to soak up all the goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment