My "Award Winning" Chili

A couple weeks ago, we had a chili cookoff at work. After my last attempt at chili, I got quite a bit of questioning from the "I don't like the taste of cooked tomatoes" Marshall. Now, I will say, the chicken chili was a bit of a looser chili, so there was a stronger tomato taste but dang, was he ever a non-believer :-P

Anywho, the chili I enter for the cookoff was a traditional ground beef chili. No beans, just beef, tomato sauce, beef broth and lots of spice :) And it took third place! Woohoo. And I didn't even use a recipe. Which yay for me except now I have to figure out how to recreate it. Hence a) why I'm making it again and b) why I chose to blog about it- document it for future re-creation.

How Long Is This Gonna Take:I made mine over the course of about 2 hours, letting it cook inbetween some spice additions. I'm not sure if this is necessary, but if you have the time (say a lazy Saturday afternoon), then it can't hurt.

What You'll Need:
2-2.5 lbs ground beef (lucky for me, 93/7 was on sale...you'll want to try to get the leanest possible)
1 tbsp granulated onion
1- 15oz can tomato sauce
1- 14oz can beef broth
5 tbsp chili powder, divided
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp cumin, divided
1 tsp cayenne pepper, divided
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 chicken bouillon cube
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp chipotle powder
2 cans of beans, drained, whatever you prefer (I used one can kidney, one can pinto)
1 can diced tomatoes, drained

What To Do:1. Brown ground beef along with granulated onion in a non-stick skillet. Drain.
2. In a large stock pot, combine beef with tomato sauce and beef broth. Simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.

3. Add in 3 tbsp chili powder, garlic powder, salt, 1/2 tbsp cumin, 1/2 tsp cayenne, black pepper, and chicken bouillon cube. Simmer, covered, for 1 hour.

4. Add in 2 tbsp chili powder, paprika, 1/2 tbsp cumin, 1/2 tsp cayenne, chipotle powder, beans, and tomatoes. Add water if you want more liquid

5. Simmer, covered, for about another 30 minutes or until ready to serve.

6. Top with your favorite sides- I go with oyster crackers and a little shredded cheddar.

(sorry for lack of pictures...chili isn't too exciting to make.)

1 comment:

  1. UGH, you're a good woman! Brad isn't picky about tomatoes (though he is about a lot of other ingredients!) but if he were he wouldn't survive my table! That's probably my number one ingredient. Good for you for having persistence when you could have given in!

    ReplyDelete