Classic Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

A friend of mine who reads this blog asked me last week what my favorite bakery item was. After much contemplation, I came up with an answer that almost surprised me- Oatmeal Raisin Cookies. They were never a real favorite of mine growing up, yet in recent years I always find myself tempted by them whenever I grab a cup of high-priced coffee from a particular Seattle-based establishment or a dozen of high-priced bagels from a St. Louis favorite. (Don't get me wrong- both of these lovely little shops are favorites of mine, just not my credit card's. I mean, who doesn't love milk-shakes disguised as coffee or bagels as big as your face?!)

But back to the important things- the cookies! If made right, they're soft and chewy, not too sweet and they're healthy/ Wait? What? They're not healthy. But I mean, there's oatmeal AND raisins in them...they just have to be good for you...

Well, I guess that will just be our little secret ;-)

Oh, and they're from Food Network Magazine (because like I ever come up with anything by myself...)
How Long Is This Gonna Take:

What You'll Need:
(Makes about 1 dozen cookies)
1 3/4 cup rolled oats
3/4 cup flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 stick butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
2 tbsp molasses (I used 2 tbsp brown sugar, lightly packed)
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup raisins (or cranberries)

What To Do:1. Preheat oven to 350F. Combine oats, flour, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, beat together butter, sugar, and molasses (brown sugar) until fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla until smooth.


2. Add in flour mixture slowly and beat until combined. Stir in raisins by hand. The recipe says to cover and chill the dough for 4 hours or overnight "for best flavor and texture", but who listens to directions all the time???



3. Line baking sheets with wax paper and form dough into balls, about 2 tbsp each. Flatten with back of a fork and bake for about 15 minutes. Let cool for 5 then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment