Spicy Sausage Hot Pockets

I have a really weird pet peeve.  I hate warm food.  I want my food piping hot.  Not like “omg-just-burned-all-my-tastebuds-and-now-my-tongue-is-numb” hot, but a “pleasant- hasn’t-been-sitting-out-for-20-minutes” hot.
It’s one of the reasons I strongly dislike eating at buffets.  Everything’s just lukewarm (let alone swarming in everyone else’s everything….yuk).   It’s also why I really don’t eat leftovers.  I’m too lazy to reheat things in the oven and too poor to buy a toaster oven.  Therefore everything goes in the microwave- which then fries everything bone dry and gross before it gets hot enough for my weird pet peeve to not be bothered.
Yes, it’s one of my many bizarre quirks…..
But these stuffed pockets (can’t call them Hot Pockets….I’ll get sued. Or something like that) totally rock my face off.  Not only do they taste awesome, they stay super toasty for a long time. So when you’re done with your first and go back for your second (and maybe an additional half after that….), they’re still lovely and hot and not needing that dreaded microwave re-heat.  I wish I could comment on their left over potential, but I have a very sneaky dog who thoroughly enjoys food stupidly left on my living room ottoman…..    
 
These were so good, I think I'm going to remake them later this week stuffed with ham and cheese and maybe some broccoli. The possibilities are endless :)
Do you have any strange food quirks?
Adapted from Food Network Magazine
What You'll Need:
  • 2 tsp Veggie OIl
  • 1 lb bulk Hot Italian Sauage
  • 1/2 tsp Cumin
  • 1/2 cup Frozen Corn Kernels
  • 2 Tbsp Pickled Jalapenos, chopped
  • 4 oz Monterey Jack Cheese, shredded
  • 2 Green Onions, chopped
  • AP Flour for dusting
  • 1- 11oz tube Refrigerated French Bread Dough
  • 1 Egg
What To Do:
  1. Heat the vegetable oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and cumin and cook, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon, until browned, about 3 minutes. Add the corn and jalapenos and cook, stirring, until the corn is tender, about 2 minutes; let cool completely. Stir in the cheese and scallions.
  2. Preheat the oven to 425F and brush a baking sheet lightly with vegetable oil. On a floured surface, divide dough into 4 equal pieces.  Roll out to approximately 6x8 inches.  Place 1/4 of the filling in the middle of the dough.  Fold over the long ends, then the short ends (See photo above).
  3. Place the pockets seam-side down on the prepared baking sheet. Beat the egg with 1 Tbsp of water in a small bowl; brush the pockets with the egg wash. Bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment